Dr. Gihan Mudalige is a research associate working on the OP2 and OPS projects under Prof. Mike Giles . His research interests include high performance computing targeting performance analysis and optimisation of scientific applications on multi-core/many-core architectures. Current and recent research collaborations include projects with Rolls-Royce Plc, UK MOD, Imperial College London, University of Bristol, University of Southampton, STFC and others.
- , E. , G.R. and M.B. (2015) Vectorizing unstructured mesh computations for many-core architectures. Concurrency Computat.: Pract. Exper., doi:10.1002/cpe.3621.
- I. Z. Reguly, G. R. Mudalige, C. Bertolli, M. B. Giles, A. Betts, P. H. J. Kelly, and D. Radford. Acceleration of a Full-scale Industrial CFD Application with OP2. (2015) IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems PrePrints, doi:10.1109/TPDS.2015.2453972 (arxiv) (data)
- S.P.Jammy, N.D.Sandham, G.R. Mudalige, I.Z.Reguly, M.B. Giles. Block Structured Compressible Navier Stokes Solution Using the OPs High-Level abstraction, 27th International Conference on Parallel CFD, May 2015, Montreal, Canada
- G.R. Mudalige, I. Reguly, M. Giles, A. Mallinson, W. Gaudin, and J. Herdman, High Performance Computing Systems. Performance Modeling, Benchmarking, and Simulation. 5th International Workshop, PMBS 2014, Held in conjunction with IEEE/ACM Supercomputing 2014(SC'14) New Orleans, LA, USA, November 16, 2014. Revised Selected Papers. Springer, 2015, vol. 8966, no. 1, ch. Performance Analysis of a High-level Abstractions-based Hydrocode on Future Computing Systems, pp. 85–104. ISBN 978-3-319-17248-4 (pre-print PDF)
- I.Z. Reguly, G.R. Mudalige, M.B. Giles, D. Curran and S. McIntosh-Smith, "The OPS Domain Specific Abstraction for Multi-Block Structured Grid Computations". To appear in Proceedings of the 4th international workshop on Domain-Specific Languages and High-Level Frameworks for High Performance Computing(WOLFHPC '14).Held in conjunction with IEEE/ACM Supercomputing 2014(SC'14). (pre-print PDF)
- I.Z Reguly, E. Laszlo, G.R. Mudalige , M.B Giles, Vectorizing Unstructured Mesh Computations for Many-core Architectures , PMAM’14, Proceedings of Programming Models and Applications on Multicores and Manycores, February 2014 ( online ) (pre-print PDF)
- G.R. Mudalige , M.B. Giles, J. Thiyagalingam, I. Reguly, C. Bertolli, P.H.J. Kelly and A.E. Trefethen, Design and Initial Performance of a High-level Unstructured Mesh Framework on Heterogeneous Parallel Systems. Parallel Comput.(2013) . http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.parco.2013.09.004 ( online ) ( PDF )
- C. Bertolli, A. Betts, N. Loriant, G.R. Mudalige , D. Radford, D.A. Ham, M.B. Giles, and P.H.J. Kelly. Compiler Optimizations for Industrial Unstructured Mesh CFD Applications on GPUs , Languages and Compilers for Parallel Computing, pp.112-126, Springer, 2013. (PDF)
- M.B. Giles, G.R. Mudalige , C. Bertolli, P.H.J. Kelly, E. Laszlo, and I. Reguly, An Analytical Study of Loop Tiling for a Large-Scale Unstructured Mesh Application . SC Companion 2012: 477-482. ( PDF )
- M.B. Giles, G.R. Mudalige , B. Spencer, C. Bertolli, I. Reguly, Designing OP2 for GPU architectures , Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Volume 73, Issue 11, November 2013, Pages 1451-1460, ISSN 0743-7315. ( PDF ) (pre-print PDF)
- G.R. Mudalige , I. Reguly, M.B. Giles, C. Bertolli and P.H.J. Kelly. OP2: An Active Library Framework for Solving Unstructured Mesh-based Applications on Multi-Core and Many-Core Architectures. In Proceedings of Innovative Parallel Computing (InPar), 2012, pp.1-12, 13-14 May 2012. ( )
- G.R. Mudalige , M.B. Giles, C. Bertolli, and P.H.J. Kelly. Predictive Modeling and Analysis of OP2 on Distributed Memory GPU Clusters . SIGMETRICS Perform. Eval. Rev. 40, 2 :61-67 (2012). ( )
- G.R. Mudalige , M.B. Giles, C. Bertolli, and P.H.J. Kelly. 2011. Predictive Modeling and analysis of OP2 on distributed memory GPU clusters . In Proceedings of the second international workshop on Performance Modeling, Benchmarking and Simulation of High Performance Computing Systems (PMBS '11). ACM, New York, NY, USA, 3-4. Held in conjunction with IEEE/ACM Supercomputing 2011 (SC'11), Seattle, WA, USA
- M.B. Giles, G.R. Mudalige , Z. Sharif, G. Markall, P.H.J. Kelly. Performance Analysis and Optimization of the OP2 Framework on Many-core Architectures (2012) Computer Journal, 55 (2), pp. 168-180. ISSN 0010-4620.( PDF ) (pre-print PDF)
- S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , S.A. Wright, and S.A. Jarvis, On the Acceleration of Wavefront Applications Using Distributed Many-core Architectures (2012) Computer Journal, 55 (2), pp. 138-153. ISSN 0010-4620
- C. Bertolli, A. Betts, G.R. Mudalige , M.B. Giles, P.H.J. Kelly. Design and Performance of the OP2 Library for Unstructured Mesh Applications , Euro-Par 2011 Parallel Processing Workshops, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, Springer, 2012. ( PDF )
- C. Bertolli, A. Betts, P.H.J. Kelly, G.R. Mudalige , and M.B. Giles. Mesh Independent Loop Fusion for Unstructured Mesh Applications in Proceedings of the 9th Conference on Computing Frontiers (CF ’12). pp.43-52 ACM, 2012. ( PDF )
- J.A. Davis, G.R. Mudalige , S.D. Hammond, J.A. Herdman, I. Miller, S.A. Jarvis. (2011) Predictive Analysis of a Hydrodynamics Application on Large-Scale CMP Clusters . In: International Supercomputing Conference (ISC11). Lecture Notes in Computer Science (R&D), 26 (3-4). Springer, Hamburg, Germany, pp. 175-185.
- M.B. Giles, G.R. Mudalige , Z. Sharif, G. Markall, P.H.J Kelly. Performance Analysis of the OP2 Framework on Many-core Architectures . (2011). ACM SIGMETRICS Perform. Eval. Rev. 38 (4) ISSN 0163-5999. ( PDF )
- S.J. Pennycook, S.D. Hammond, S.A. Jarvis and G.R. Mudalige. (2011) Performance Analysis of a Hybrid MPI/CUDA Implementation of the NAS-LU Benchmark. ACM SIGMETRICS Perform. Eval. Rev. 38 (4). ISSN 0163-5999 ( )
- S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , J.A. Smith, S.A. Jarvis, J. Holt, I. Miller, J.A Herdman and A. Vadgama, To Upgrade or not to Upgrade? Catamount vs. Cray Linux Environment , Large Scale Parallel Processing (LSPP) held in conjunction with IPDPS10, April, 2010, Atlanta, USA ( PDF )
- G.R. Mudalige , S.D. Hammond, J.A. Smith, and S.A. Jarvis. Predictive Analysis and Optimisation of Pipelined Wavefront Computations . In Proc. 11th Workshop on Advances in Parallel and Distributed Computational Models (APDCM 2009), 23rd IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2009), Rome, Italy, May 2009. IEEE Computer Society. ( PDF )
- S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , J.A. Smith, A.B. Mills, S.A. Jarvis, J. Holt, I. Miller, J.A. Herdman and A. Vadgama. Performance Prediction and Procurement in Practise: Assessing the Suitability of Commodity Cluster Components for Wavefront Codes, IET Softw (3)6:509-521. 2009. ( PDF )
- S.D. Hammond, G.R. Mudalige , J.A. Smith, S.A. Jarvis, J.A. Herdman and A. Vadgama, WARPP: A Toolkit for Simulating High Performance Parallel Scientific Codes , 2nd International Conference on Simulation Tools and Techniques (SIMUTools 2009 (ACM SIGSIM, ICST, SCS)), March, 2009, Rome, Italy. ( PDF )
- G.R.Mudalige , M. K. Vernon and S. A. Jarvis. A Plug-and-Play Model for Evaluating Wavefront Computations on Parallel Architectures, IEEE International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium (IPDPS 2008), Miami, Florida USA, April 2008. IEEE Computer Society. ( PDF)
- G.R.Mudalige , S. A. Jarvis, D.P. Spooner and G.R. Nudd Predictive Performance Analysis of a Parallel Pipelined Synchronous Wavefront Application for Commodity Processor Cluster Systems, IEEE International Conference on Cluster Computing, Barcelona Sept 2006. IEEE Computer Society. ( PDF )
- S. A. Jarvis, D.P. Spooner, G.R.Mudalige , B.P. Foley, J. Cao and G.R. Nudd. Performance Evaluation of Parallel and Distributed Systems. chapter in Performance Prediction Techniques for Large-scale Distributed Environments. Mohamed Ould-Khaoua and Geyong Min Eds. Nova Science, 2005
- Researcher Co-investigator (July 2013 - July 2016) - Future-proof Massively-Parallel Execution of Multi-block Applications. Funded by the UK EPSRC (Ref: EP/K038494/1 ) with Prof. M.B. Giles (PI)
- Scopus Author Profile
- Google Scholar
- ORCID Profile
- Post-Doctoral Research Fellow at the University of Warwick (2009-2010), Dept. of Computer Science.
- PhD in Computer Science from University of Warwick (thesis title: Predictive Analysis and Optimisation of Pipelined Wavefront Applications using Reusable Analytic Models ), supervised by Prof. Stephen A. Jarvis (2004-2009)
- Research intern at the University of Wisconsin-Madison (U.S) Dept. of Computer Science working with Prof. Mary K. Vernon as part of the Warwick, Wisconsin-Madison graduate exchange program (2006-2007).
Professional Affiliations and Activities
- Member ACM: Member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Reviewer: IPDPS (2009) , MASCOTS (2009) , Euro-Par (2010) , UKPEW ( 2008 , 2009 and 2010 ), JPDC (2011), Computer Journal (2011 to 2014)